January 22, 2018
Real-Time Musings from CES Show Floor
Meredith, EVP, Operations & Client Services, shares a personal account of her 5th Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
When I think back to my first CES in 2001, it was a vastly different world than where we are today. I had a first-generation mobile phone, which of course I called a “cell phone,” and the only pictures I captured were from an old camera (yes, I still have prints).
Fast forward to 2018. I took upwards of 40 photos on my iPhone X, streamed two episodes of Black Mirror during my flight, and documented much of my week on Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat.
In 2001 we would have never anticipated artificial intelligence, virtual reality and augmented reality would have become mainstream.
But just as cell phones evolved to smart phones, AI, VR and AR are transforming reality as we know it today.
As I navigated the sensory overload that is CES, I decided to recount my mental musings as a REAL – not artificial – stream of consciousness.
Maybe it’s my final farewell to “reality” as we know it. Or perhaps a forward-thinking look to how we’ll express real-time thoughts in the future.
Meredith’s 2018 CES Random Real-Time Musings
- Justin Timberlake’s new song Filthy and the video are stuck in my head – I feel like it’s my CES theme song this year.
- Why did I watch five episodes of Black Mirror before coming here? It hits a little too close to home.
- The face ID on my new iPhone is awesome but also a bit frustrating when hauling through the convention center.
- LG and Sony blow me away every year with their visual booth displays. Samsung’s The Wall is truly beautiful and mesmerizing.
- Now all I can think about is Back to the Future 2
- Did the power seriously go out at the consumer electronics show? That’s too ironic for me to handle.
- Our Coldwell Banker team works so hard at CES!
- Kathleen’s article about AI in PR is really spot on
- We’re already living with a lot of these tech advancements but the next frontier will be when embedded trackers become commonplace. Until then we are tethered to technology via devices and our voices. But it is here….
- Sophia is freaky and now has legs! That reminds me – when is Westworld back on?
- I’m never going to get through all the emails I’m getting this week. How is it that amidst all of this advanced technology I feel trapped by email? I need a virtual assistant – but I’m still scared of the ones depicted in Black Mirror. Seriously you shouldn’t have watched so much Black Mirror just before coming to CES, Meredith!
- We need even more technology to make our bodies happier. Am I really going back a second time to one of the massage chairs on the floor? Yes, yes I am. I’ll count it as research for my blog post.
- Even with all these advancements, I am still amused at the button by my bed at the Venetian that opened and closed the curtains. What does that mean?
- I can’t believe I have to hook up an updated (yet decidedly outdated) cable box when I get back to NYC. Isn’t it time I cut the cord on cable?!
- I wish I had more time to see everything! I wonder how many recap articles I’m going to read on the plane home. [The answer was 15 – here’s another one]
It would be a lot easier if I could simply just blink and think this post into existence– instead I have to finish it when I get back to NYC. Maybe next year….